The One-and-Only Illinois Club Cross-Country Invitational
AN AMAZING RACE!
Started in 2011, by John Hennelly of the Evanston Running Club, this terrific cross-country race has become a favorite of clubs all over Illinois. This is a "closed" competition, meaning it's not on the CARA circuit, it's a team-only event and by invitation-only. We top off the racing with an old-fashioned picnic, so runners, family and friends can all enjoy the camaraderie and a beer or two. The course is a "figure 8" which allows easy viewing of the entire 3-mile race.
Congrats to Lake Forest/Lake Bluff for winning the age-graded category.
We had a lot of competitors of all ages running in the age-graded scoring range of 80% and up, which shows how strong the field was this year.
A massive thanks to Runners Edge and Saucony for providing our bibs and certificates for free shoes for the winners!
Thanks to Craig Virgin for coming out and sharing his XC wisdom.
Thanks to Melissa Savage of Niles West for starting our races, which turned out to be the hardest job of the whole event.
SAVE THE DATE: 11/015/15 in Harms Wood and start hatching next year’s strategies!
- Women’s masters: Evanston won in a tie breaker with Lake Forest, as their 4th runner beat the LF/LB 4th runner by a single place.
- Men’s masters: Track and Trough won with power, including a stellar run from their fourth man, Lou Glaser.
- Women’s open: Fleet Feet nudged out Evanston by four points in a very fast race. Evanston had three of the top four, but Fleet Feet had more depth.
- Men’s Open: Fleet Feet going away with their elite squad. John is launching a regional search for competition for these guys. Thomas Frazer came on at the end to win the Sauconys!
- Age-Graded: LF/LB won, followed by Fleet Feet and Evanston. Laura Batterink of Evanston killed it with a 88%. The top 20 runners were above 80%, and another 8 runners missed 80 by less than 1%. And this was using road standards.
- Open Co-ed: Fleet Feet won with 12 points, followed by: LF/LB 33, Evanston 48, T&T 51, Oak Park 100, and Niles West 126.
- Masters Coed: Evanston won with 17, followed by LF/LB 25, and RKPT XC with 63.
We're creating an amazing collection of photos from the race… keep them coming!
Bill Thom, timer guy, also has lots of photos, plus a really nice recap, along with the results.
Top Woman, Laura Batterink, shown below finishing strong, thanks to Daryl Santiago or ERC and TRE!